Ports of Call


We will start out from Miami and then cruise to the following ports: Bermuda, Azores, Lisbon, Portimao, Gibralter, Barcelona, St. Tropez, Monte Carlo, Portofino, Florence, Corsica, Sorrento, Rome, Sorrento, Taormina/Giardini, Santorini, Rhodes, Kusadasi, and Istanbul.

Sunday, April 26, 2015

How to Pack, and then Repack -- and Save the Knees

Getting ready to go overseas is a challenge.  We have learned over multiple trips what to take and what not to take.  The following are necessary for an enjoyable trip:  two or more different credit cards, ATM card, passports (of course), extension cord, multiple outlet plug, licorice and snacks, cords and cables for the electronics, call the credit card companies to let them know we will be out of the country, and as few clothes as you can get away with.

Since we have to take supplies for the bridge program, including handouts and a printer, we usually pack these in a box separate from our clothes.  So we have five suitcases and one box all packed and ready to go when I notice Michael has packed his roll-aboard.  We will only be able to take two bags apiece when we return home from Istanbul, so that is one less suitcase that needs to have all the stuff distributed.  Then I read that United Airlines now only lets us take two 70 pound bags each  -- uh oh -- now the box has to be unpacked and distributed among the four large suitcases.  This is where we play "how much does each bag weigh."  Isn't that a lovely way to spend a Sunday afternoon?

Many of you know that I have had knee problems, and as you may have read on my blog from last year's world cruise, I was in agony. The knees today aren't any better. I had to wait almost 6 weeks to get an appointment with an orthopedic doctor here in Vancouver.  Nothing like waiting to the last minute before leaving on a long cruise. The doctor agreed to give me shots of Synvisc in each knee and told me I would have to make an appointment for the following week (this was last Friday morning).  I pleaded with them to do it on the same day.  I guess the stars were aligned in my favor because I was able to get the injections later in the afternoon.  Hopefully this will allow me to do the excursions without being in too much pain. 




No comments:

Post a Comment